Sometimes, words just aren’t enough to convey exactly how much I really love a specific dish. This is a prime example of that. Therefore, I’ll only tell you that these little corn cakes served with spicy Avocado salsa is pretty much one of the most delicious things I’ve tasted in a really long time. The almost sweet corn cakes with their crispy edges is perfectly complimented with the creamy, zesty and spicy salsa. But what I love most about these corn cakes is that they work incredibly well as breakfast topped with bacon and poached eggs and if you make them into little mini cakes, topped with the salsa they make really great little canapes with drinks.
Makes approximately 15 corn cakes, depending on size
2 cups corn
1x 400g (14.11 ounces) tin creamed corn
1½ cups grated mature cheddar
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup milk
for the spicy avocado salsa
2 avocados, chopped
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped (remove seeds if you don’t like it hot)
juice of ½ lemon
salt & pepper to taste
fresh coriander, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine the corn kernels, creamed corn, eggs, cheddar, smoked paprika and salt and mix well.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Slowly stir in the milk until the batter is not too thick and drops off a spoon easily. (it should also not be so thin that it spreads too much when you fry the cakes)
- Heat a large frying pan and add some oil.
- Fry spoonfuls of the batter until bubbles appear at the top and flip. Allow to cook on the other side. Remove from the pan once cooked and place on some kitchen paper to drain.
- In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for the salsa and mix well.
- When all the cakes have been cooked, serve them with the salsa, extra lemon wedges and fresh coriander.